16 December 2004

Yogurt

I love yogurt. We go through 2-3 quarts a week. I love it so much that I started to make it myself. It is incredibly easy to make. I use powdered milk so I can say I'm doing something with my food storage. Here's my recipe:

3 cups powdered milk
2 quarts warm water (no warmer than 120 degrees)
1/2 c yogurt

Mix the milk and water, then stir in the yogurt. I do this right in my yogurt maker container. Then I stick the container in the outer container, plug it in, and leave it for 4-6 hours. Let it chill for 24 hours before eating it. It's a good idea to set 1/2 cup aside right after it's chilled so you'll always have yogurt to make more. If you don't have a yogurt maker, you can leave it in a warm place till it has set up.

My kind sister had a yogurt maker sitting around from her mother-in-law. Since she never used it, she passed it on to me. But then a couple of years later she decided she wanted one (they'd been in Europe and had drunk lots of yogurt drinks), so I got her one for Christmas.

But what do I do with this yogurt? Many people don't like it, or only like it with lots of sugar in it. Use it as a substitute for sour cream or buttermilk. Lots of Middle Eastern dishes are made with it or topped with yogurt. My favorite thing to do with yogurt is to add it to macaroni and cheese. I just cook my macaroni, mix in some grated chese, yogurt, and salt, and I'm all set. One of my children loves it too- the one that's not a picky eater.

Yogurt is cheap, healthy, easy to make, tastes good, and uses up that silly powdered milk that's going bad in the garage. Give it a try. :)

4 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try making my own yogurt. I love it, and so does my family. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard that you can use it in place of cream cheese also, if you "drain" it overnight by pouring it in a cheesecloth lined strainer (with presumably something underneath to catch what has drained out).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've drained yogurt often. I don't much like it as a substitute for cream cheese, since it is tangier than I prefer. I have used it to replace cream cheese on wraps though. I mix the drained yogurt with green onions, garlic, and crushed red pepper and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LorilooperJuly 10, 2005

    Thanks for the recipe! I have been making yogurt for a few months and even made some for some friends of mine. The yogurt was a hit. Now there is a run on yogurt machines at our local Bosch Center.

    ReplyDelete