17 January 2007

Things Fall Apart

I read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe for the first Reading Across Borders challenge. This wasn't one of the very best novels I've ever read but I definitely enjoyed it. I wish it had been longer; at under 200 pages it seemed too short. One of the best things about the book is that it is told from an African perspective. There are so few voices from Africa at the beginning of colonialism and even though this is fiction, it is unquestionably African and authentic. The last few chapters dealing with Christian missionaries in Nigeria were particularly good. I'd like to read more books like this. Recommended.

6 comments:

  1. I'm considering reading that book soon. My wife has it as part of her collection. Is it worth the read?

    I'm currently reading The Kite Runner, which is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's definitely worth reading. I still need to read The Kite Runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Book and it's representation of Christian Missionaries and Okonkwo's confussion over the concept of Trinity are part of the reason I am Mormon, oddly enough...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? That's interesting. I had a bit of a different reaction to that part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful novel. Small minds will see it as an expose of mysogeny and imperialism. But it's actually a bridge between precolonial Africa and the Modern world. The author has deftly and succinctly translated the ways and stories of his ancestors into a genre familiar to and understandable by Europeans and Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo Dan's sentiments on the Kite Runner. Both my girlfireind and I admit to crying at certain points. And there's a really great moment where the baddie gets his comeuppance and I punched the air with delight!

    ReplyDelete