16 January 2008

Healthier Chicken Pot Pie

I love chicken pot pie, but using a flaky crust results in a dinner that really isn't all that good for you (even though a buttery flaky crust is heavenly). So I haven't made these for a lot time until I got the idea to use the potato crust from the apple pie I love. We tried it last night and it was delicious (the son who turns down everything approved of the crust).

Use whatever filling you like for chicken pot pies. Last night I didn't have a lot of broth in mine because I made one large pie instead of individual pies; it can be soupier if they're individual. I just cut up potatoes and carrots and onions and added some shredded chicken and herbs and garlic and cooked it all down, then filled the crust below.

1 pound potatoes, peeled
2 T butter
About 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for surfaces
Salt, onion powder, and/or garlic powder to taste

Dice the potatoes and boil till soft, drain. Mash with the butter then add the rest of the ingredients and knead till smooth, adding flour as needed (or kneaded, hee hee). Divide into two parts. Roll out one for the bottom crust and lay in a greased 8- or 9-inch pie plate. Fill and top with the other section. Bake at 400 for about 50 minutes till nicely browned.

3 comments:

  1. I have a non chicken pot pie question for you. =)

    I was reading through past recipes you have posted. Did you ever try baking your falafel instead of frying them? Like you, I hate frying...maybe it is in the genes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can't remember. It seems like I tried it, but then I would have posted about it, so maybe I didn't. I'll have to do it (again).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great idea! The buttery, flaky crust has kept me from making pot pies too.

    Let us know on the falafels, please.

    ReplyDelete