15 January 2008

Istanbul

I started this book by Orhan Pamuk in November but got bogged down for reasons listed below. Since it's due soon, I picked it back up and finished it this week. So it's my first book for Melissa's challenge.

It's a rather good book, but it's not at all cheerful. Pamuk writes about melancholy throughout the book- his and the city's- and really, it's almost depressing in many places. Meandering through it slowly wasn't for me, so I finished it fairly quickly and enjoyed it more.

I've only been in Istanbul's airport and only know a few Turks from Turkey and most aren't from Istanbul, so I don't have much, if any, connection to Istanbul. If a book like this had been written about a city I'd lived in, I'd probably have had stronger feelings about it.

I enjoyed Snow more and would recommend that over Istanbul if you're looking to read something by Pamuk.

3 comments:

  1. I probably will never read this one, not having made it through Snow. Ah, well. I guess Pamuk is not for everyone, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my list, too. I read half of the book early last year and like you, got bogged down in the melancholy. I'm using the challenge as incentive to finish, but it's going to be a bit of a chore. I'm not even sure why I feel compelled to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading this book for this challenge too.

    ReplyDelete