01 February 2008

The Kite Runner

So, I finally read The Kite Runner. I've been meaning to for a long time, but it always had a zillion holds at the library and it never seemed like it would to get to me before we moved to a new library. But it's been out long enough now and I didn't have to wait very long to get it this time.

I've heard enough about this book to know that I didn't really care to read some parts, and they were all very short, so I skipped them. And since I didn't want to be manipulated I read some of the end first (I'd never before thought of reading the end of a book before you finished it as avoiding being manipulated).

And then I very much liked the rest of the book. I thought it was excellent. It felt like something that could really happen (which is sad, since so many awful things happen; you can only hope things improve in Afghanistan someday). And it was nice that the Persian was simple enough that I could understand all of it.

I look forward to reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. If there aren't too many holds on it.

5 comments:

  1. I resisted reading Kite Runner for a long time too. When I finally read it, it wasn't as awful as I had feared (even the awful parts), but it wasn't as good a book as everyone said either. A teacher I know said it was popular mostly because nothing else exists that gives any window into Taliban-era Afghan society.

    I thought the first half was excellent, tightly written, great characters, relationships and motivations. The second part devolves into a stereotypical punch-drunk thriller with blood, bad guys and child abuse for extra interest. Blech. Amir is still pretty clueless as adult, and the adoption of his orphaned nephew is woefully underinformed.

    My 2¢ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're probably right about the second half. But I skipped those parts. :) And after reading a lot about Afghanistan, it really didn't quite seem over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns a lot more than Kite Runner...I thought it was a better written book (is tht even gramatically correct?). But it has some parts that are pretty tough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've never thought about reading the end first to avoid being manipulated by a story. I should try that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it was a great read, but not the next best thing since sliced bread as some would have you believe.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete