03 March 2008

Climbing the Mango Trees

I very much enjoyed Madhur Jaffrey's memoir of growing up in India. The mix of remembering Delhi, especially before Partition, and the food was perfect. There are also quite a few recipes at the end of the book.

I was especially interested to read about tandoor cooking in Delhi. I hadn't realized it had come to Delhi so late from the Punjab. And so many people associate tandoor cooking with India...

Recommended.

This technically completes Melissa's challenge, but since I'm still hoping that Amazon will find The Railway for me and since I have a few more from South America and Africa to try, I don't think I'm done quite yet. And I could read some more Middle East books, I guess. I just do that a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. I really enjoyed it, but it's come back from people I recommended it to with less-than-excited responses. I was beginning to wonder.

    Thanks for doing the challenge with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I'd have thought most people would have liked it.

    And I've loved your challenge. I hope you do another one soon!

    ReplyDelete