01 December 2008

A House in Fez



A House in Fez: Building a Life in the Ancient Heart of Morocco was an amazing and frustrating book. It's the story of an Australian couple who buys an home in the old city of Fez and restores it. The book mostly details that restoration and what the author learns about living in Morocco. It really was fascinating.

But it also was boring in parts- too much detail about the cost of building materials and things like that. And what was up with all the promotion of their blog? I would have been interested in hearing more about the people Clarke knows now in Morocco. We only heard about the workers, one former neighbor, and a seriously flaky 23-year-old woman. A woman who managed to get Clarke to write papers for her in English so she could graduate and continue living off her parents and hope to live off a husband someday.

But it's definitely recommended, even though it could have been better. I can't tell you how much my husband and I would love to do something like this.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. An amazing book. I actually liked the detail and didn't find it boring. I would love to have met more "characters" but I guess a book has to finish somewhere. The blog references were helpful and I found myself going to it a lot for extra information about Fez. The blog is worth exploring.

    Jenny

    Ps.. i love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think their blog is interesting, just over-promoted in the book. The link listed in the afterword or whatever it was would have been enough.

    But I'm glad you like my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete