11 January 2009

Persepolis

Persepolis: The Story of a ChildhoodThis is the first graphic novel I've read and I thought it was excellent. The story was familiar, certainly- an upper-class Iranian girl's reactions to the revolution- but the method of telling it is what's important here. I'd like to think that graphic novels (this isn't exactly a novel though, since it's non-fiction; maybe a graphic memoir?) like this can open up new knowledge to people who might otherwise not have read anything about the Iranian revolution or a variety of other topics. I hope that many more like this are published.

Apparently most of my reading is about food or travel or cultures, so this one also counts for Melissa's challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. Did you just read the first one, or did the copy you have have both Persepolis I and II? I agree with the form; this one wouldn't have been nearly as effective in a prose format.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have the first one, but after reading your review, I put the second on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see the film version yet? I enjoyed both. I'll have to get my hands on the second one.

    ReplyDelete