01 December 2009

Baking Cakes in Kigali

Baking Cakes in Kigali: A Novel
This is another of those way-popular books that is a lot of fun to read, but ends up being a little disappointing because there really isn't much there. I liked it, it was worth reading, but it won't stick with me. It did skirt around some difficult topics, like female circumcision and AIDS and suicide and genocide, but didn't really tackle any of those topics. And there really was too much about cake and clothes, both of which I can do without.

2 comments:

  1. Now, Amira, how can there be too much about cake? Really? You are obviously not a cake lover. :-D I'll probably get around to reading this someday. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can't read too much about cake, then this is the book for you. :)

    Cake is fine, it's just the icing that defeats me.

    ReplyDelete