31 January 2010

Left to Tell

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust
I read this one earlier this week, while we were moving.  So I read it in bits and pieces through a couple of days even though it's a fairly short book.  I thought it was a good book.  Of course, any book about a genocide is going to be violent and disturbing, but this book handles those scenes well.  It's also a very religious book, but not in an in-your-face sort of way.  The author is simply a very religious woman who relies on her faith in God to help her, but she doesn't seem to be trying to convince the reader to believe what she does.  It reminded me a bit of The Hiding Place with its emphasis on forgiveness.  Recommended. And no, I haven't read anything else about the genocide in Rwanda, except for news reports shortly afterwards (in fact, the only novel I've read about Rwanda is Baking Cakes in Kigali, which hardly counts).

1 comment:

  1. I'm in pretty much the same boat; I know little about Rwanda except from this book. Which was amazing. I can't say I enjoyed it exactly, but I was really hit by her story.

    ReplyDelete