18 December 2010

Dulce de Leche and the Crock Pot

People were talking about sweetened condensed milk, so I needed dulce de leche.  Usually I just poke a hole in the lid of a can of sweetened condensed milk and boil it for a few hours, but I've started using the crock pot for things that boil over or away.  And I always worried about the can exploding even though I poked that hole in.  And I never knew if it was really done.

Anyway, this time I dumped the milk into a pint jar (actually, I did two cans in two jars) and covered it with foil and stuck it in the crock pot.  Then I filled the pot with water till it came above the level of the milk in the jars, but below the level of the top of the jars.  It took 6 hours on high and the glass jars made it easy to see when it was ready. 

I've said before that I've never done much with my crock pot, but when I finally started using for things like this, my stove got a lot cleaner.  I don't think I've ever forgotten something and boiled away all the water and had it burn, but I always, always have things boil over when I'm cooking stock or beans or milk for yogurt.  The crock pot is perfect for things like that and I'm finally using the thing more than once a month.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great idea. What did you do with your dulce de leche? Did someone you know have it in Uruguay? Nice timing on suggesting cooking beans in the crockpot as I'll be doing lots of that next month. Do you heat the milk you use for yogurt in the crockpot when not using powdered milk? Please tell me about the stock you do in the crock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, TOO easy. I'm going to have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried making dulce de leche myself, but now I know a good way to do it!

    I was going to suggest cooking beans in the crockpot because I do that all the time. So much easier! Today I'm making a big batch of applesauce in mine that I'm just about ready to put in jars. My house smells yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "Flashback Astana" post!

    ReplyDelete