20 April 2012

Confederates in the Attic

I've been meaning to read this book forever, but I finally decided to read it when it was sitting on my reader again and I clued in that I'm moving to the South in a few months.  Just like I'd hand Stegner to someone moving from New England to the western US, I figured it's time to read a little about the South.  If I can stomach it, I think Gone with the Wind might be next.  Maybe.

Anyway, I loved this book. Of course it's just one person's perspective on a few specific aspects of the South, but I felt that Horwitz was trying to understand where the people he talked to were coming from.  I'll see what I think after living there myself for a while.

I'm an American going back a long way, but the Civil War isn't part of that.  Even though many of my ancestors were in the US (or its territories) by the Civil War, they had all gone west, and the rest came in the 15 years after the end of the war.  Even though I'm familiar with the Civil War, it's not part of my history in the same way that the history of the western US is mine.  I'm looking forward to learning more.

2 comments:

  1. I've had this one on my list to read for a while. I'm glad to see someone else read it and liked it! Maybe I'll get to it shortly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed a wonderful book. Loved every page of it.

    ReplyDelete