24 May 2012

Recipe a Day: Simplest Freezer Jam

Homemade jam is one of my favorite things, and since fruit is so inexpensive here when it's in season, it makes sense to make jam here.

But I don't like really sweet jam, and I don't like jam that's been cooked for very long, and I don't like canning anything. Since they don't do pectin here, this means that I make runny freezer jam.  It's a good thing I like runny freezer jam.

If you want something that will stay on your toast when you spread it on, look elsewhere.  If you don't mind licking your fingers at the end, this is a good place to start.  I've used this same recipe with Chinese plums, raspberries, apricots, and more.

Here's what you need:

  • Lots of clean fruit with the leaves, pits, or other undesirable parts removed (chopped or sliced if desired)
  • Sugar- I use, at most, one cup of sugar for every four cups of prepared fruit.  Less is good too.
  • Lemon juice- I use, at least, the juice of one juicy lemon for each four cups of fruit
Combine the fruit and sugar in a pot that's plenty big enough to hold them.

Mash everything together.

And bring to a boil.  Simmer for a few minutes.  The longer you simmer, the more it will jell (in theory), but the more cooked it tastes.

Near the end, add the lemon juice.

Remove from the heat and let the jam cool.  You can mash more now if you think it needs it.  I like chunky jam.

Then pour it into smaller containers.

Let it cool to room temperature before putting it in the fridge, and when it's cold, put what you won't eat fairly quickly in the freezer.  It easily lasts for a week or two in the fridge and all winter in the freezer.  Be ready to lick your fingers.  And don't ever think about putting a knife anywhere near this jam.  You need a spoon.

1 comment:

  1. This is the kind of jam my mom would always make. My favorite kind is peach.

    ReplyDelete