These aren't all technically enchiladas. In fact, I can find no agreement on what an enchilada actually is because I think there is no rule that applies to all of Mexico. You could call these baked tacos, but that doesn't give the right impression for a USian.
I spread a little of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish, then layer 6 tortillas on the bottom. Add your filling, a little of the sauce if you like, then top with the other 6 tortillas. Add the rest of the sauce and top with crema, cheese, or onions, if you like. I usually bake them at 175/350 for about 20 minutes, but some don't need to be baked.
You can mix and match sauces and fillings if you want. I have a lot more things to try, but these are what we've liked so far. Some are numbered so you can see the recommended combinations. If there's no number, they work with lots of things.
- 300 grams adobera or queso fresco or other cheese with lots of chopped onion (5)
- 1.5 cups cooked, shredded chicken with 2 large poblanos turned into rajas (3)
- 300 grams adobera or other cheese with 3 large poblanos turned into rajas (1) (2)
- 7 scrambled eggs with chopped onion (4)
- Chorizo and onion
- Squash flowers
- Eggs with tomatoes, or with salsa, either red or green
- Shredded chicken
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes blended with a chunk of onion and fried in a bit of oil for a couple minutes. Return the sauce to the blender with about 1-1.5 cup of jocoque and blend again. (3)
- Tomatillo salsa (3)
- Blend 1 cup cooked tomatillos, 3 roasted and cleaned poblanos, some cilantro, and 1/2 cup peanuts. Fry in a bit of oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, then add some salt and 1/2 cup water. (2)
- Blend 1 lb tomatoes, 1 clove garlic, and 2 toasted serranos. Fry for 5 minutes in a little oil, cool a little, then add salt and 1/2 cup crema and heat gently. (4)
- Blend four soaked, stemmed, and deveined ancho chiles with two cups of milk, 2 cloves of garlic, and a little salt. Fry it in a bit of oil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. You can add 1 T of sugar too. (1)